Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Perfect on a winters day. As seen regularly at cafe ODE.
You will need…
- 100 ml Rapeseed Oil
- 2 Dried chilli flakes
- 3 Cloves
- 6 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g Red onion, finely chopped
- 500 g Tomatoes chopped and seeded
- 1 kg Soaked Speckled Lentils (soak the night before)
- 1 tbsp Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 100 ml Ghee or clarified butter
- Coriander Seeds
- Heat the oil and add chilli, clove, cumin and garlic.
- Add onions and fry until brown.
- Stir in the tomato pulp. Bring to the boil, cook until the liquid has dried, add turmeric and chilli powder and then lentils.
- Bring back to the boil, season well.
- The dhal should be thick add a little water if required. The lentils cook down to pulp and some remain whole. Stir in the ghee and serve with chopped fresh coriander and fenugreek leaves