Prep Time: 12 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
A refreshing finish to any meal. As seen at ODE dining.
You will need…
- 100 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 500 g macaroni
- 100 g flour
- 1 l milk
- 200 g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce
- 150 g fresh, brown crabmeat
For the crab topping
- 150 g white crabmeat
- 100 g crème fraîche
- juice 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 small pack dill, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and grease a medium baking dish. Cook the macaroni following pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan and add the flour to make a thick paste, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Add the milk, little by little, to the paste, mixing until smooth. Cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add 150g cheese and whisk until smooth. Mix in the mustard, ketchup and cayenne. Drain the macaroni and return to the pan. Stir the cheese sauce into the cooked pasta, fold in the brown crabmeat and season.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 50g cheese on top and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until heated through. Remove from the oven and stand for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crab topping with some seasoning. Serve a big spoonful on top of each portion of the bake, then scatter over the dressed rocket (see ‘Goes well with’). If making ahead, cool completely and leave in the fridge overnight. The next day, cut into slabs and reheat (covered in foil) for 10 mins in the oven at 200C/180C fan/gas 6.